Our client is a well-respected, established law firm hiring a hands-on Controller to formalize the structure of the accounting department for their growing firm. The “right” person for the job will understand the complexities of a professional services firm, acting as an agent for change while being sensitive to established traditions. It is important to note that this firm has a culture emphasizing work/life balance. This is an excellent long-term opportunity for someone striving to enhance an already strong organization.
The Controller will manage a small staff consisting of a bookkeeper and several billing coordinators. The role reports to the Managing Partner (MP) and the Executive Director (ED). This role will be directly responsible for leading the accounting department and establishing sophisticated policies and procedures. This position will be essential to the overall health of the firm as they continue to evolve.
- Month-end close and the production of financial statements.
- Processing and tracking ACH payments, deposits, and checks.
- Manage A/P expenditures ensuring accuracy and assist ED with vendor relationships and contracts.
- Manage billing, cash applications, and collections, especially review and analysis of client costs.
- Prepare or oversee daily cash report for equity partners, including credit line balance.
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations for multiple live accounts.
- Interface with outside CPA firm.
- Ensure timely tax reporting and tax savings.
- Review and evaluate current accounting software.
- Report to MP monthly – systematic, organized, and provided with suggestions for improvement.
- Prepare annual budget and provide monthly actual versus budget analysis.
- Create or oversee billing reports – tracking billable hours against dollars received.
- Create a monthly dashboard that is easy to read.
- Perform profitability analysis to include pricing and margin analysis.
- Assist with MP and ED with banking relationships.
- A/R analysis and reporting for executive level collections.
- Workflow and work balance – assist in maximizing efficiency of the firm.
- Consistent communication – learn what needs to go to the Executive Director and what needs go to the Managing Partner.
- Propose improvements to current processes AFTER the current processes have been learned.
- Be comfortable saying “no” to Partners when the numbers and proven practices show that is the correct answer while also being comfortable in hearing “no”.
- Professional Services Industry a MUST – Law Firm experience preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of GAAP.
- Proven analytical aptitude.
- Practical knowledge and experience with the monthly close process.
- Strong sense of self; interpersonal skills; excellent written and verbal communications capabilities.
- Track record of acting as a catalyst for change in an assertive (but not aggressive) manner.
- Bachelor’s degree – Accounting a must.
- 8+ years of applicable experience.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills with an Excel emphasis.
- Time and billing experience a must. Experience with Aderant a plus.
- Proven communication skills, written and verbal.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact Sabrina McElhannon