As a Senior Property Accountant, you ensure all transactions related to your portfolio of properties are recorded accurately and reported on a timely basis.
Roles You Will Play
- Post monthly journal entries and prepare monthly financial reports for a portfolio of properties, including reclasses and accruals provided by onsite property managers
- Work with Operations team to prepare annual budgets
- Review all financials and reconciliations to ensure accurate reporting
- Oversee the preparation of cash position/projection reports, working closely with Accounting team members
The Task Master
- Tie out month-end balances between software systems and help research any variances
- Post monthly debt service payments for each property; reconcile monthly loan activity
- Ensure all security deposit funds are held in the correct account by analyzing the cash transfers to operating accounts; write down forfeited security deposits
- Help Cortland Build, Investments, and Operations teams ensure the proper separation of construction costs; help provide billings when necessary
The Impact You Can Make
- Investors, colleagues, and partners alike have absolute confidence in our financial statements because of your leadership, adherence to accounting rules and company policy, and precise attention to detail.
- Proactively handling potential closing challenges is your superpower — other staff accountants model themselves after you.
- You have a knack for communicating with a wide range of roles and personalities – everyone always knows what’s going on and is on the same page!
Building Blocks of Success
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance preferred, or at least 5 years of experience in the Commercial or Multi-Family Real Estate Accounting industry
- CPA or MBA preferred
- Strong organizational, communication, quantitative, and analytical skills
- Exceptional attention to detail while performing multiple assignments under tight deadlines
- Deep understanding of GAAP, financial accounting processes, and general ledger reconciliation
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact Tracy Coffie