Accountants One is working with a repeat client, a local private equity firm, to help them hire a Part-time Controller. This role is the very definition of hands-on, responsible for accounting and bookkeeping for some of their portfolio companies along with internal reporting. This is a great opportunity for someone that will enjoy a mostly remote, part-time job. The expected hours for the role are not expected to exceed 16 hours per week and may be as few as 8 hours after the initial learning curve. The client is willing to retain the controller for a minimum of 8 to 24 hours per week for consistency in the controller’s income.
There are three main entities with weekly transactions. There are 12 additional entities that may only require one or two journal entries per month. The controller will be responsible for the oversight of transaction imports, recording of accrual entries for depreciation, reserves, etc., account reconciliations, the monthly close of the books, and publishing financial statements. As needed, the controller will be asked to provide reports and process information to outsourced tax accountants.
The ideal candidate will have experience with both (1) Operational Accounting for the accrual of operating business activities and (2) Equity Method accounting to record realized and unrealized activities from investment activities. The client favors a very transparent approach to their accounting that places an emphasis on recording detailed activity transactions vs summary journals that rely upon work papers to provide details and explanations. For this reason, the client’s accounting process requires bulk-import of detailed transactions. The client has established tools and procedures to support these imports. They use Contra accounts for journal entries and detailed transaction classification for inter-company transactions, so all details are easily found by prospective buyers.
- Active CPA highly preferred
- Three or more years of CPA firm experience and three or more years of Controller experience
- Strong knowledge of GAAP for traditional Operational Accounting
- General Understanding of GAAP for Equity Method Accounting
- MUST have proven ability and experience with list and transaction import function of QuickBooks (either using IIF or third-party tools)
- QuickBooks Enterprise experience highly preferred, almost a requirement
- An understanding of QuickBooks Enterprise’s advanced inventory and Enhanced Inventory Receiving (EIR) that uses item receipts to record inventory and accrued costs in advance of vendor bills is desirable
- MUST have advanced Excel knowledge
- Power Query/Power BI is desirable, but not required
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact Brent Harris