Operational Plant Controller
A leading multi-state food distributor is looking for an Operational Plant Controller (new position) for its Atlanta division (office/distribution facility) located in an industrial setting on the west side of Atlanta.
This position will report to the General Manager and operate in an office environment adjoined to an industrial warehouse and truck yard. They will be responsible for all operational control points of: (1) a refrigerated warehouse with 125 associates, (2) a fleet of 60 tractors with over 90 drivers, and (3) the operational accounting functions including receivables and payables. The Controller will also work closely with procurement and sales to monitor inventory levels and weekly pricing structures of over 3,000 highly perishable products.
While primarily working from a desk, a key part of the Controller’s day (about 10%) will be moving about the distribution facility to coordinate work and inspect control points. They will supervise two direct reports, an Accounting Manager and the Manager of Inventory Control. The general office environment is very friendly, down to earth and non-political with a focus on getting work done. The General Manager is a high energy person with a great personality, who has years of strategic, tactical and operational experience in all phases of their business and is eager to share this experience with the Controller.
This position requires occasional travel to other distribution centers and the corporate office.
To be successful, and notwithstanding the Preferred Candidate Education and Experience listed below, the Controller must have: (1) expert level Excel abilities including large amount of data, pivot tables and complex formula writing, (2) excellent written and verbal communication skills, (3) the love for numbers and problem solving. They must also be a self-starter and an independent thinker.
Essential Functional Duties Include:
- Planning and coordinating all accounting operational functions.
- Manages the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for an accurate accounting of consolidated business results for all departments.
- Overseeing daily, weekly and monthly financial and management reporting.
- Analyze financial data and operations in order to assist and advise management in maintaining the financial objectives.
- Maximize efforts towards productivity; Identify problem areas and assist in finding and implementing their solutions.
- Work with corporate office and other divisions to coordinate efforts and group projects
- Investigate and critique variances to budget or to prior year and offer and implement practical solutions for improvement.
- Establish and continually audit all internal financial controls including purchasing, cash handling, disbursements, inventories, payroll and employee records.
- Assess current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes.
- Evaluates accounting and internal control systems.
- Monitor compliance in meeting the required report deadlines and due dates.
Preferred Candidate Education and Experience:
- 4-year college degree with concentration in Accounting/Finance.
- 10 years managerial experience.
- 5 years prior food sales/distribution background, meat related preferred, or a background in manufacturing and cost accounting would also be applicable.
- Proficient computer skills in Word, Outlook and large database systems.
- Expert in Excel that includes use of v-lookups, pivot tables, developing complex formulas.
The company has excellent health care benefits, considered the gold standard in the industry.